The Early Career Leadership Fellow (ECLF) initiative is a collaborative effort between the National Education Association (NEA) and CEC, which connects early career teacher leaders to union leadership, particularly around professional and social justice issues. The program has had a major impact on participants, who have reported increased connection and familiarity with the activities, mission, vision, and values of their local association, increased awareness of the role of their local association in advocating for student learning, and increased connection with state and national associations. ECLF fellows also are more likely to become local association leaders and to attend local, state, or national events.
The ECLF program has worked with more than 100 teachers from all over the country, all in their 2nd through 8th year in teaching. The teachers have participated in trainings along with coaches from each association and their union president. The locals involved in the program have included:
- Brevard Federation of Teachers (FL)
- Clark County Education Association (NV)
- Corona Norco Teachers Association (CA)
- Elgin Teachers Association (IL)
- Guilford County Association of Educators (NC)
- Montgomery County Education Association (MD)
- Prince George’s County Educators’ Association (MD)
- Salem Keizer Education Association (OR)
- Tri County Teachers Association (ME)
- Utica Education Association (MI)
- Val Verde Teachers Association CTA/NEA (CA)
CEC and the NEA continue to expand the ECLF program. If your state affiliate or local union is interested in this program, please contact Mary McDonald to find out how to get involved.
Learn more by watching these two videos about the program.
Contact: Mary McDonaldMore Partnerships & Initiatives